Sample portfolio questions regarding bars held and number of stocks used
Solved
Topic Starter
Thu Nov 3, 2022 - 23:57
I was just going through some of the sample portfolios on WealthSignals for the first time. In many of the top performing portfolios I see many positions are only held for 1 or 2 days, and all range around 1-6 days for most top performing portfolios. Is this the right perception or am I reading this wrong? (In my own trading, I average around 12 held days on the best stocks.)

Also, the top performing sample portfolios seem to cycle through only a handful of stocks. Is this real or is the sample portfolio only showing a few of the completed trades taken by these strategies? (In my own trading, I draw from around 1500 stocks, but some are just small and medium cap stocks and not the large cap stocks WealthSignals uses.)
3 RESPONSES
Fri Nov 4, 2022 - 15:15
Sounds about right to me. You can get general strategy information in each of the Strategy's Descriptions, which could cover concepts like symbols traded, position sizing, etc.
VK1
Mon Dec 5, 2022 - 09:50
I see system trading like the weather forecast. Summer is warmer than winter. Predicting weather for tomorrow or the next hour is easier than for next week, except you know that the market is going up in general. The shorter the time frame is the less average profits you make, you win more often but when you lose.... Daily systems seem natural for me. Going long is natural for the stock market.
I think that is why many systems exit after a few days or even the next day. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Exit the profits and take the next (better) buying opportunity. Or if you have lots of money to invest (I mean so much that your order moves the market), then you have to go for the big moves...

VK1
Mon Dec 5, 2022 - 09:53
Another thing I forgot to mention that a lot of the systems use ETFs or just one. That is kind of a good idea, however, Most ETFs only have 20 years of data, if at all.
But it is an easy system to follow only one order per day, max.
To reply to this topic, you need to login first.