Text or Email
Topic Starter
Mon Mar 4, 2019 - 16:20
As described in the "How it works" page, it would be fantastic for authors and/or subscribers to get text or email alerts for signals, especially for systems that use limit orders. I'd like to get such an alert so as to know when to possibly place the order in live trading. When I say email I mean right after the limit order signal is executed, instead of at the end of the day.
27 RESPONSES
BWO
Tue Mar 5, 2019 - 07:29
I'd also like to get a fill message back when I execute a trade the moment it registers on wealthsignals..
Wed Mar 6, 2019 - 08:40
I will add it to my ToDo list... Keep you posted.
Thu Apr 11, 2019 - 22:24
I am also requesting SMS alerts for subscribers.

I happen to read in the wiki that publisher signals sent after 09:00 ET are sent to subscribers immediately which suggests that signals may come during the trading day and not just after the market close.

If that is the case, the urgency of the feature request to add SMS alerts has increased because I don’t normally check my personal email during the day but I certainly want to know immediately if there is an intraday trading signal.

However, I don’t want an SMS for a NST and may not want an SMS when the market has closed if an email will be sent.

Speaking about email notifications, personally I prefer to check the web site daily rather then read email so a few options would be appreciated like “Email daily - Yes/No” and “SMS for all trades” _OR_ “SMS for trades between the hours of _____ and _____ ET weekdays” and “SMS for NST - Yes/No”.

Thanks,
—Sherwood
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 05:13
SMS are expensive for the platform (WealthSignals) so by definition this might be an extra feature which the customer would have to pay for in addition. So for a later phase we prefer hassle-free alternatives such as push notifications in your messenger.

But if you're interested in SMS, experiment with what is already possible for you right now:

How to Send Text Messages Via Email for Free (SMS & MMS)
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 10:10
Hi Eugene,

With all due respect, I appreciate the work-around you mentioned but I don’t enjoy “paying” for work arounds. 🙂

I assume like many, I was introduced to WS from my long-standing relationship with Fidelity and their endorsement of Wealth Lab.

Fidelity does not charge more for SMS messages, although they make me request them very specifically.

So I suggest WS adopt the same same model.

When I have suggested WS to friends and family, the first comment I get back is “don’t they offer trades by text?” (I’ve heard it three times so far).

I know it is not simple or practical to “charge extra” for a feature like SMS but I believe it would help grow WS business by removing a potentially significant barrier.

For what it’s worth, my millennial children despise email and live almost exclusively on some form of text messagings (with SMS being the lowest common denominator).

On the other hand, neither I nor most of my children, do Facebook or Facebook Messenger so that would not be a great solution.

At least, I suggest you talk the opportunity over with your team before deferring the SMS feature.

Thanks,
—Sherwood
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 10:29
Sherwood,

If you have carefully reviewed my link (whose title says "Free"), the workaround I suggested is a free feature provided by your phone carrier.

The SMS service, on the other hand, is different. As much as we'd like to offer you the premium feature for nothing, it'd probably be unrealistic to expect it. Your valuation of our services is appreciated but MS123 LLC (who runs wealthsignals.com, wealth-data.com and wealth-lab.com websites) is a small company. We are not Fidelity. It seems pretty natural that if you request a premium feature like SMS notifications that MS123 will get charged for by a vendor, then you might understand that it also comes with the effort of development, testing and support as well as ongoing maintenance.

So for any practical purposes, the messenger approach is the preferred and totally free solution for the new reality. Every smartphone now has one or more messengers, be they Telegram, Whatsapp, Viber, Skype or FB.
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 11:11
Hi Eugene,

Good points!🙂

I have personally referred one friend to move his retirement account to Fidelity because of WS, so I think you should give your team greater credit in terms of your positive impact!

Unfortunately, I don’t use any of those messengers you mentioned but maybe WS will be able to document how to use an additional carrier based text email address with the signal communication options I suggested.

I don’t have any more to offer on this topic.

Thanks,
—Sherwood
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 11:27
QUOTE:
sent after 09:00 ET are sent to subscribers immediately which suggests that signals may come during the trading day
That can't happen. WealthSignals is still strictly End-of-Day and all signals must be published before 0930 - no signals can arrive or be sent after this time. If and when WealthSignals begins supporting intraday (and auto) trading, this will change.
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 11:45
Hi Cone,

Can you help me interpret this statement from the wiki: “One exception: after 09:00 AM ET time, signals will be auto-published to subscribers immediately.”

http://www2.wealth-lab.com/WL5WIKI/PVWealthSignals.ashx

Will WS publish intraday signals on the web site and/or by email?

Specifically, will an author be able to issue a buy or sell signal that impacts his/her strategy’s performance other than “end of day”?

I ask because my time zone is ET -6 hours and I am not awake at market open, so a last minute (after 2:00 am) or early intraday signal would need to “wake me up”, which an email won’t.

Thanks,
—Sherwood
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 11:45
QUOTE:
WealthSignals is still strictly End-of-Day and all signals must be published before 0930 - no signals can arrive or be sent after this time.

True. So let's clarify this line in the Wiki guide for system authors to avoid it sounding ambiguous:

"...after 09:00 AM ET time (and prior to the cutoff time at 09:30 AM ET)..."

Just done.

QUOTE:
Will WS publish intraday signals on the web site and/or by email?

This is an unrelated question, here let's stick to the topic which is "Text or email" please. I already had to rename a topic which started as "Inverse vs. short" and then turned into a discussion re: exit strategies, signal status etc. To keep the forum well maintained and organized you're welcome to ask in a new thread. Thank you!
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 12:22
Hi Eugene,

I don’t mean to antagonize in any way and I encourage you to delete any forum message I post that you feel are off topic or unproductive at your complete discretion.

I still don’t understand... what time period(s) (ET) can an author publish signals and order trade execution that affects their strategy performance and are visible to subscribers?

The connection to txt vs. email is that if it is anytime other then market close to 2:00 am ET, I won’t get the signal from email or the web site until much later.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as I learn to participate productively in the WS platform.

—Sherwood
Topic Starter
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 12:33
Although signals can only be PUBLISHED before market open, limit or stop orders can be FILLED any point during the trading day. Getting some kind of alert right at the time of the fill would be invaluable to those subscribing to strategies.
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 12:33
Sherwood, we're far off topic. PLEASE ask anything except "Text or Email" in a new thread.
Topic Starter
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 12:34
What is off-topic here Eugene?
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 12:35
Dion, it's "time period for posting signals", "intraday execution" etc.

There's no cost to start a new topic but this way it turns into a mess.
Topic Starter
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 12:40
How can "intraday execution" be off topic when it was what I mentioned in the original post??
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 13:01
QUOTE:
How can "intraday execution" be off topic when it was what I mentioned in the original post??

It's my understanding that "Text or email alerts for signals" is generally applicable to every subscriber. It's about having a choice of how to get signals (email, SMS, push...) and everything that concerns this particular requested feature. This is what your topic's title implies, saying clearly and concisely: "Text or Email".

Mixing different subjects ("Limit orders", "intraday execution" and/or the cutoff time for signal publishing) together into a single topic ("SMS or Email") may create a confusing experience, at least to me.
Topic Starter
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 13:34
Eugene, regardless of the title of my original topic, if you read the topic text you will see:

"I'd like to get such an alert so as to know when to possibly place the order in live trading. When I say email I mean right after the limit order signal is executed, instead of at the end of the day. "

I think that taking such a hard line regarding topic content based solely on the topic title is counterproductive and comes off as argumentative.

Clearly if you read the content of my first post to understand the intent, you'll see that subsequent posts in this topic were not off topic.
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 13:58
I think of this thread as the “user stories” behind the requirement for text or email (or web, or push or messenger) notifications.

My story for SMS revolves around authors issuing published signals anytime after 02:00 ET for trades at the next open that I won’t see by email in time to act on or for intraday trades (which Cone says not offered yet). I don’t do any messengers and push by IOS apps is highly unreliable for me. The only reliable way to “wake me up 24x7” is a SMS alert from a trusted number which is what I have set up at Fidelity and others (for urgent alerts).

It sounds like Glitch and BWO have other, equally valid, user stories related to this same text or email feature request.

Hope this helps.

-Sherwood
(Does this thread make me part of the WS family? 🙂)

Topic Starter
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 14:12
Yes Sherwood, welcome to the "lively" discussion! ;)
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 14:31
QUOTE:
maybe WS will be able to document how to use an additional carrier based text email address with the signal communication options I suggested.

Have you had a chance to review the link I provided? American carriers are listed on the top. With Gmail's flexible filter system you could easily set up a rule to resend WS signal emails to your carrier's gateway, turning email into SMS notifications for your phone.
Fri Apr 12, 2019 - 21:02
Hi Team WS, 🙂

I spent some time experimenting with the filtering and forwarding features of gmail and it does seem possible to selectively forward a trading signal email to a carrier SMS gateway while avoiding NST emails but since SMS messages are limited to 160 characters (with concoction up to 1600 characters), simply forwarding a regular “Published Signals” email worked but I only received one 160 character SMS which was basically unreadable and only acted as an “alarm” to check my email. Also my carrier used a different identifier number for each forwarded email so these would not get through my night time “do not disturb” feature on my phone and so would not “wake me up”.

For reference, the SMS Alerts I get from Fidelity are always under 160 characters and always come from the same identifier number so they can be set to bypass “do not disturb” and always “wake me up”.

My carrier also offered mms forwarding but was unreliable for me.

Let me know if you have any other approaches you want me to try. In the mean time, due to my time zone, I will avoid subscribing to signals that issue trading notices after 00:00 ET or issues any instruction other then to buy or sell at market for the start of the trading day.

As Glitch pointed out, a strategy that used limit orders would be problematic for me as a subscriber if the author was filled and I was not and had no immediate way to know that to take corrective action.

I still believe the requirement for SMS exists unchanged and the profile email/text options I suggested earlier in the thread remain valid.

Thanks,
—Sherwood

Sat Apr 13, 2019 - 06:36
Sherwood,

Thanks for trying it out and sharing your experience! Nice to see it has potential to work but indeed there's some challenge left. You might agree with me on that bypassing a restrictive Do Not Disturb filter should not be treated as a WealthSignals issue while we're trying to manifest an inexpensive solution that should fit everyone. Apart from that, the only real issue remaining is the inherent limitation of 160 characters in an SMS.

You're making a good point and I'm afraid it would be too tricky (if possible) to handle that in web-based Gmail whose filtering abilities are not as flexible as those of a desktop email client's. I think we've come closely enough to a working solution if we're able to send email notifications in plain text to you. If "Send Signals as Plain Text" could be made a new option in subscriber's preferences (My Profile > Settings) that would deliver the contents of a signal in SMS and fit the 160 char limit (except there's way too many signals today).

The only problem is the lengthy Disclaimer section which can not fit 160 characters. We probably might let the user choose the Plain Text option only after obtaining his acceptance of the disclaimer in a popup and saving this to the database. Just tossing ideas around.

P.S. The carrier may have a daily (monthly or whatever) limit on the number of emails forwarded to SMS, though.
BWO
Sun Apr 14, 2019 - 00:43
Did anyone mention to warn Sherwood that forwarding these messages to others is prohibited by the TOS for WS? If not let this be that reminder.
Sun Apr 14, 2019 - 02:45
Hi Eugene,

I'm OK with the lack of a consistent SMS identifier using the carrier SMS gateway being a future enhancement (when economics allow).

To address BWO's forwarding concerns (which I agree with) and to not open Pandora's box on "forwarding signals", would it be feasible to offer an additional "plain text" email address field where I could enter the email address for my cell phone carrier SMS gateway and not need to rely on Gmail forwarding (not everyone uses Gmail)?

Maybe you can offer a drop drown list of supported carriers so all I need to do is add my cell phone number? That would help avoid errors and limit your support burden.

However, I still think it would be valuable to have an option to exclude NST from the "plain text" emails so only active trading signals are sent as SMS, for those who prefer that.

Would the "plain text" emails be sent the moment an author communicates a signal to subscribers (24x7)?

Thanks,
--Sherwood

Sun Apr 14, 2019 - 05:28
Sherwood,

Plain text email is just an idea. At the moment there's no consensus in the team about it. There are various concerns.
Sun Apr 14, 2019 - 11:10
I still believe the best approach is a standard SMS gateway with a fixed identifier (with Fidelity as the example/standard).

None the less, the SMS notification requirement remains unchanged.

I’m happy to be a tester for whatever solution the team decides on.

Thanks,
—Sherwood
To reply to this topic, you need to login first.