How to make strategy private?
Topic Starter
Fri Jan 4, 2019 - 07:10
Hi,

Sorry if this is written somewhere but I can't seem to find a way to not have my strategy public. I want to see how it goes before and if I ever make it public. I can't see an option in any of the settings.

How do I keep it unpublished with the new site please?

Thanks
8 RESPONSES
Fri Jan 4, 2019 - 08:22
Hi,

Sorry but WealthSignals does not have "private sandboxes" for a long time.
Fri Jan 4, 2019 - 09:13
I will discuss with the team if we should bring back private strategies or not. Thank you.
Sat Jan 5, 2019 - 05:42
I'm all for adding back private sandboxes.
Topic Starter
Sat Jan 5, 2019 - 21:25
Thank you for your responses. There are I'm sure many reasons why a strategy might want to be private but here are mine:

1) The strategy setup is not overtly difficult but it is not intuitive and there is a learning curve. The last thing I want is for me to be messing around learning publicly. If I end up creating and deleting a strategy several times it looks bad and reduces credibility should I ever make it public.

2) I want to get used to posting daily if I do this before I go live.

3) I can't imaging anyone buying into a strategy with 0 out of sample results so this gives some incubation time where the data is being updated daily and the results are actually out of sample but they aren't displayed publicly until they've been proven. Again, it's a credibility thing. I wouldn't want to share a strategy with bad out of sample results, especially if there are potentially multiple strategies.

4) While going through the learning curve, I'd rather not be flagged as a bad author publicly. I created a strategy on the site but haven't done anything with it yet and am already getting bad boy emails. I'm not flagged yet but am assuming I will be soon.

5) The programming for it could potentially be very easy: add a Public checkbox on the settings page, add a single column to the database, Public (Y/N or 1/0), keep everything else the same including the out of sample results, and simply condition the listing on the strategies page to those with a Y/1.

So if you could add that Public option please that would be great.

Thanks for considering it.
Sun Aug 9, 2020 - 23:50
I was baffled to discover that there's no option to make a strategy private. I second this request for all reasons above, specially #1, #2 and #4.

I fail to see any downside of providing an option to make a strategy private (specially for strategies with no subscribers).

On the same lines, a "Closed for new investors" option is a must.
BWO
Mon Aug 10, 2020 - 04:00
If strategies had to have backtests before playing when I got involved, I motion not to allow strategies "play time" unless either a backtest is submitted or all strategies are to remain public so that screenshots do not mislead when they do become public.
Fri Aug 21, 2020 - 01:38
I'm not sure if I understand your comment.

Strategies are tracked out-of-sample, and this is reflected in the return chart. Having a backtest (and being public or private, for that matter) doesn't make any difference for a investor.

Again: I fail to see any downside of providing an option to make a strategy private (specially for strategies with no subscribers).
Sun Oct 4, 2020 - 07:57
QUOTE:
Again: I fail to see any downside of providing an option to make a strategy private (specially for strategies with no subscribers).

If it's not allowed to be made public later, isn't it? To avoid potential cherry picking.
To reply to this topic, you need to login first.